I know there must be some kind of Miami metaphor there, man eats off another man's face. As usual the concurrence of events, thoughts and national trends lead us right here to our own backyard. I had to ask myself why does this story have such traction? Why has it caught national attention for more than just one news cycle? I gave it a lot thought and this is what I came up with:
1. The "South Beach Cannibal" story (BTW it happened quite far away from South Beach) of course associating cannibalism with a place where celebrities come to stay is a great way to catch a readers attention. As if another man chewing off a man's face wasn't enough....the media had to add some kind of geographic hyperbole.
2. The Zombie Zietgeist. As the Twilight series fades, zombies are always just in the background waiting to emerge as the horror-du-jour. Shows like Zombieland, Resident Evil and AMC's Walking Dead feed into our national paranoia about zombies.
3. Zombie Apocalypse. Survivalists, the NRA and makers of axes and expensive kitchen knives are anxious for some kind of apocalypse, why not a zombie one? Hurricane supplies........nah apocalypse supplies!
4. National craze for plastic surgery! I recently went to a party with a group of "women of a certain age". I could swear that they could use someone to eat off all that excess junk placed in lips and cheeks. Don't know when the "monkey face" look became popular with aging Caucasian women, but it looked bad. Why not get your insurance company to pay for that nose job.....lay down under a bridge, wake up with a new face.
5. Nudity: Any crime committed in the nude, cannibal or otherwise will make national headlines.
6. No fat people were involved in this story.
7. What are those crazy kids sticking up their noses today? Bath Salts....wow...Calgon take me away.
So those are my theories why this story has "legs". Hmmm, I'm feeling peckish.....